Tragic Shooting Leaves 10-Year-Old Boy Dead in Sacramento County

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. — A community in Sacramento County is mourning the tragic loss of a 10-year-old boy who was shot and killed by another child over the weekend. The victim, Keith Frierson, was remembered as a sweet and kind soul, with loved ones gathering for a vigil in his honor at the site of the shooting.

According to family members, the shooting occurred after a bike race between Keith and another young boy, who had played with Keith in the past. The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office reported that the 10-year-old child obtained a gun from his father’s vehicle and fatally shot Keith. The child’s father, identified as 53-year-old Arkete Davis, was arrested in connection to the shooting.

Keith’s mother, Brittani Frierson, expressed her grief and anger at the incident, stating that her son’s death was not supposed to happen. She placed blame on Davis, emphasizing the need for justice for her son. Others at the vigil echoed similar sentiments, attributing the tragedy to the failure of responsible parenting.

Described as a loving and kind-hearted person, Keith was deeply involved in sports and was known for his humor and helpful nature. The coaches of the football team he played for, the Jr. Foothill Mustangs, paid tribute to him at the vigil, remembering him as a “gentle giant.”

As investigations continue, it was revealed that the gun used in the shooting had been reported stolen in 2017. Davis, a convicted felon, was found to have unlawfully possessed the firearm. The 10-year-old suspected shooter has been charged with murder and is being held at the Sacramento County Youth Detention Facility. Davis faces charges of felony gun-related offenses, child endangerment, and accessory after the fact, with a bail set at $500,000.

The tragic loss of Keith Frierson serves as a sobering reminder of the devastating impact of gun violence in the community, prompting calls for accountability and measures to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future. The case is set to proceed to court on Wednesday as authorities work towards ensuring justice for the young victim.