Tradebe Facility Fire Investigation Reveals No Criminal Connection

BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut – An investigation is underway following a three-alarm fire and explosions at the Tradebe Facility in Bridgeport. Officials expect the investigation to take several weeks, but they have stated that the incident does not appear to be criminal in nature. Despite this, fishing in the area has been prohibited as water testing continues.

The incident, which occurred last week at the Tradebe Facility on Cross Street, prompted several 911 calls reporting a major fire in the area of Bishop Avenue. The initial reports indicated that the incident happened at Standard Oil on Bishop Avenue, but crews found the large fire at the Tradebe Facility.

As a result of the fire and explosions, one person was burned while two others suffered from smoke inhalation. All three individuals were taken to Bridgeport Hospital, where one was admitted for treatment. The other two were discharged, according to officials.

In response to the incident, the Bridgeport Police evacuated a two-block radius, closed roads, and advised residents to shelter in place. Bridgeport Public Health also recommended that people wear masks to avoid smoke exposure and to stay indoors. The fire was eventually brought under control, and air quality testing allowed residents and businesses to return to the area.

As part of the ongoing investigation, officials are conducting air and water quality testing. Despite initial findings indicating potential safety concerns, Tradebe has been cooperative throughout the incident. The cleanup effort continues, and Bridgeport Mayor Joseph Ganim has called for increased neighborhood notifications and awareness regarding facilities that store or use chemicals within the city.

Water testing on Saturday indicated that fishing in nearby waterways was still unsafe. As a result, fishing remains prohibited in the area. Sgt. Paul Makuc, acting commanding officer for the Connecticut State Police Fire & Explosion Investigation Unit, stated that the investigation will take a few weeks to complete, and the team does not believe the incident was criminal in nature.

In conclusion, the investigation into the three-alarm fire and explosions at the Tradebe Facility in Bridgeport is ongoing. While fishing in the area remains prohibited, officials do not believe the incident to be criminal. The city of Bridgeport continues to work with Tradebe and other facilities to increase neighborhood notifications and awareness regarding chemical storage and usage.