Relatives of Lloyd Poole say the accused driver remained free on bond while the victim underwent months of treatment.
WIXOM, Mich. — The family of a 75-year-old Michigan man who died after an alleged confrontation with a DoorDash driver is calling for stronger accountability as prosecutors consider whether to expand charges in the case.
Lloyd Poole died May 16 after spending nearly five months in hospitals recovering from severe head injuries suffered during a confrontation in a Wixom subdivision, according to family members. Authorities previously charged 40-year-old Ryan Daniel Turner with aggravated assault after police said he admitted punching Poole during an argument in December. The medical examiner later ruled Poole’s death a homicide caused by blunt force trauma, placing renewed focus on the ongoing criminal proceedings.
According to investigators, the confrontation happened Dec. 28 after Poole approached Turner about allegedly driving too fast through the neighborhood while delivering food orders. Police said officers responding to the scene found Poole unconscious in the roadway near Barberry Circle and Windingway Drive. Authorities later said Turner voluntarily appeared at a police station and admitted involvement in the incident. Poole never fully recovered from the injuries that followed the fall. Family members said he spent months in intensive medical care while doctors performed repeated procedures aimed at relieving pressure caused by traumatic brain injuries. Lindsey Gonzalez, Poole’s stepdaughter, said relatives struggled to watch his condition worsen despite multiple surgeries and ongoing treatment efforts. “Basically my mom and his golden years of traveling and being retired was taken away,” Gonzalez said.
Family members said Poole endured seven separate brain surgeries during his hospitalization. They also described recurring infections and bouts of pneumonia that complicated his recovery. Relatives said the retired man had recently returned from an overseas trip with his wife and was making plans for additional travel before the confrontation occurred. Those plans stopped abruptly after the incident left him hospitalized. The family’s frustration also grew as Turner remained free under bond conditions while the medical situation deteriorated. Gonzalez said relatives believed the seriousness of Poole’s injuries warranted stricter detention measures from the beginning of the case. Court records show Turner had been ordered to remain on house arrest with a tether while awaiting further hearings. Prosecutors have not commented publicly on whether they opposed bond during earlier proceedings.
The death transformed what had initially been handled as a serious assault investigation into a case with potential homicide implications. Under Michigan criminal procedure, prosecutors may amend charges if injuries from an alleged crime later result in death. Legal analysts often note that those decisions require careful review of medical findings, timelines and causation evidence before additional charges are filed. The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed it is reviewing the medical examiner’s findings but has not announced a final decision regarding Turner’s case. Investigators also have not publicly released autopsy details beyond the homicide ruling cited by family members. The delay between the December confrontation and Poole’s death may require prosecutors to present extensive medical testimony connecting the injuries directly to the fatal outcome if the case proceeds toward more serious charges.
The case has resonated across metro Detroit because it combined a neighborhood dispute, a delivery driver and a catastrophic medical outcome that unfolded over several months. Residents in Wixom described shock that a brief confrontation could end with life-threatening injuries and a homicide ruling months later. The story also sparked broader debate online over delivery-driver oversight and how quickly arguments in residential communities can escalate into violence. Friends and relatives remembered Poole as a quiet retiree who valued travel and family life after years of work. Several described the emotional strain of watching his prolonged hospitalization while legal proceedings moved through the court system. Community reactions intensified again after confirmation of his death and the possibility that prosecutors could seek upgraded charges tied to the original assault.
Authorities have not announced when a final charging decision may be made, though additional court proceedings are expected in Oakland County. Prosecutors said they continue reviewing evidence connected to the medical examiner’s findings and the ongoing investigation.
Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.