Midnight Inferno Destroys 1890s House, Leaves Two Dead in Jefferson County

Authorities say the victims were Henry and Susan Heuer as investigators review what caused the overnight blaze.

DE SOTO, Mo. — An elderly couple died in an overnight house fire in rural Jefferson County, authorities said Tuesday, after emergency crews were called to a home south of De Soto and found the structure engulfed in flames.

Officials identified the victims as Henry F. Heuer, 84, and Susan D. Heuer, 73. The deaths turned a late-night structure fire into a broader county investigation involving fire officials, sheriff’s deputies and the medical examiner. The case also underscored the special problems of emergency response in remote parts of Jefferson County, where water access is limited, mutual aid can be essential and crews may spend much of the night controlling a blaze before investigators can begin sorting out what happened inside.

According to De Soto Rural Fire Chief Tom Fitzgerald, a passerby reported the fire at about 11:41 p.m. Monday after spotting flames in the 4800 block of Upper Blackwell Road. Firefighters arrived to find the home fully involved. The back of the house was starting to fail, leaving responders to battle a fire that was already well advanced. By the time crews were able to extinguish the blaze, two occupants had been found dead inside. The house stood in a rural area with no nearby hydrants, so firefighters had to haul water to the scene in a shuttle operation. That can turn even a standard structure fire into a long, manpower-heavy event, especially when flames have already spread through most of the building before the first engine arrives.

Authorities released information in stages as the case developed Tuesday. Early in the day, the sheriff’s office said only that two adults had died and that the victims had not yet been positively identified. Later, the Regional Medical Examiner’s Office identified the dead as the Heuers. Family members also confirmed their names in local television coverage. Fitzgerald said the home dated to the 1890s and that both the house and the property were cluttered with belongings, conditions he said complicated the firefight. He also said he did not believe there was anything suspicious about the fire. Even so, officials had not announced a formal cause by late Tuesday, and investigators were still reviewing the scene.

The unanswered cause became the central issue once the victims were identified. Fitzgerald said there may have been a lightning strike on the property on March 6, several days before the fire, but he did not say investigators had confirmed any connection. That leaves several open questions, including whether the blaze began from an electrical issue, a heat source, storm-related damage or something else entirely. Missouri fire investigators often work through those possibilities by examining burn patterns, wiring, appliances, witness statements and weather history. In this case, the age of the house, the amount of damage and the collapse of part of the structure may make that review more difficult. For now, officials have said only that the investigation is active and that the origin has not been publicly determined.

The response drew help from across the region. De Soto and Festus fire departments assisted, along with the Hematite, Jefferson R-7, Hillsboro, Big River, Potosi, Mapaville, Dunklin and St. Clair fire protection districts. Valle Ambulance District also responded. While those crews focused on the house fire, Cedar Hill, Rock Community and Antonia provided support for other emergencies, helping maintain broader county coverage through the night. Firefighters stayed on scene until about 7:15 a.m. Tuesday. The scale of the response reflected both the severity of the blaze and the realities of protecting a wide rural area, where departments routinely depend on neighboring agencies when a call grows beyond the capacity of one district.

Fitzgerald said the deaths would weigh on the community and on first responders who dealt with the aftermath. The fire took place outside a major urban center, but its impact was immediate in an area where many residents know one another and where emergency crews often respond to people they recognize. By the end of Tuesday, investigators had named the victims, local agencies had cleared the scene and neighbors were left with a burned home on a quiet road and a long list of unanswered questions. What remained was the formal fire investigation and the effort to determine how a late-night emergency became a fatal loss for one Jefferson County family.

As of Wednesday, no cause had been released, and authorities were expected to continue examining the property and any evidence recovered from the scene.

Author note: Last updated March 11, 2026.